Works under the direction of the licensed healthcare team members to develop, implement and evaluate systems that promote cost effective, quality patient care. Functions as a leader of the patient care team to include delivery of patient care, collection of ongoing patient response to care, discharge planning and patient family education. The Lead LPN works in close collaboration with the licensed healthcare team member to evaluate the patient's plan of care and progress toward goal attainment. All patient care activities are undertaken with the delegation/supervision of a licensed professional.
Graduate of an approved discipline specific program (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience
Licensed Practical Nurses who have at least six months LPN experience may be eligible for the sign-on bonus.
The sign-on bonus is not applicable to current VUMC staff or former staff who have worked for VUMC in the past two years.
Vanderbilt's Walk-In Clinics in Melrose is part of a growing number of Vanderbilt Walk-In Clinics also open in Brentwood, Bellevue, Belle Meade, Cools Springs, Franklin, Nolensville and Spring Hill. These clinics provide high quality health care services in a location convenient for many. A board-certified Vanderbilt physician and nurse practitioners are always on site, and no appointments are necessary. We offer advanced services such as EKG, lab and X-rays, with immediate results. The Vanderbilt Walk-In Clinic saves patients' time and possibly a trip to the Emergency Room. The clinics take care of common illnesses and minor injuries, including allergies, infections, sore throats and stomach bugs. Screening, testing and preventative services available include breathing treatments, drug screenings, EKGs, lab testing, pregnancy testing, TB skin testing, vaccinations, and X-rays. Physicals needed for adoptions, camps, or sports, the Department of Transportation and pre-employment are also offered.
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Our Nursing Philosophy:
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center's mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Provides leadership in collaboration with patient/families and health care providers in the delivery of health care services.
Provides leadership within the healthcare team by following established plan of care to ensure patient progress for effective outcomes.
Provides leadership to promote health and a safe and healthy environment.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LPN PATIENT EDUCATION (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in applying patient education in challenging and complex situations. Often takes a lead role in highly pressurized situation when there is a need to achieve results. Consistently delivers patient education services in a creative and imaginative manner while setting a standard for others. Contributes to the development of patient education best practices for the work area.
LPN CARE PLANNING (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates ability to forecast complex resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, schedule activities, meet deadlines, organize work and lead a team. Plans for and anticipates events outside of immediate responsibility and escalates for problem-solving and decision-making as needed. Anticipates problems and obstacles before they arise. Able to absorb changes to major assignments while maintaining a high level of performance. Competently handles multiple assignments and projects simultaneously. Sets priorities with a proper sense of urgency and importance. Leads team to develop creative ideas and takes innovative action to achieve planned goals and objectives.
CLINICAL PATIENT DOCUMENTATION (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in applying patient documentation standards in challenging and complex situations. Consistently delivers patient documentation, trains, monitors, and sets a standard for others. Contributes to the development of patient documentation best practices for the work area. Leads team in the implementation of improved documentation processes.
CLINICAL COMPETENCY (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the uppermost levels of nursing interventions (such as wound care, point of care testing, vitals signs, etc.) in practical applications of a difficult nature. Consistently delivers clinical competencies, trains, monitors, and sets a standard for others. Contributes to the development of clinical competency best practices for the work area. Leads team in the implementation of improved clinical competency processes.
Organizational Impact: Independently performs non-routine tasks that significantly impact team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Gathers and analyzes data to solve problems that arise with little or no precedent.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies advanced job knowledge and has developed a breadth of skills in other areas.
Team Interaction: Serves as a lead for the team by providing expertise and guidance to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.