Oversees hospital utilization performance improvement and operational management of the site Case Management Department in order to promote effective utilization of hospital resources, ensure processes support appropriate reimbursement for services rendered, support efficient patient throughput, and ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations related to case management services.
Integrates national standards for case management scope of services including:
ï¿½ Utilization Management supporting medical necessity and denial prevention ï¿½ Transition Management promoting appropriate length of stay, readmission prevention and patient satisfaction ï¿½ Care Coordination by demonstrating throughput efficiency while assuring care is the right sequence and at appropriate level of care ï¿½ Compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements, TJC accreditation standards and Tenet policy ï¿½ Education provided to physicians, patients, families and caregivers
Responsibilities include the following activities: a) manages department operations to assure effective throughput and reimbursement for services provided, b) leads the implementation and oversight of the hospital Utilization Management Plan using data to drive hospital utilization performance improvement, c) ensures medical necessity review processes are completed accurately and in compliance with CMS regulations and Tenet policy, d) ensures timely and effective patient transition and planning to support efficient patient throughput, e) implements and monitors processes to prevent payer disputes, f) develops and provides physician education and feedback on hospital utilization, g) ensures compliance with state and federal regulations and TJC accreditation standards, and h) other duties as assigned.
Drafts policy provisions and provides interpretation of department policies, in accordance with the DMC Utilization Review Plan. Identifies the need for and drafts or defines procedures/protocols in collaboration with higher management input, goals and objectives; modifies procedures/protocols as necessary. Monitors the quality and productivity of staff to ensure work is completed. Implements performance improvement activities to insure consistency and safety within departmental activities. Initiates or recommends personnel actions such as hires, fires, disciplines, etc. Completes performance appraisals and ensures competency of staff. Assists in the development of daily, monthly and/or yearly goals and measures for department, and as requested, assists in assessment of goal attainment. Assists in developing and monitoring budget. Monitors activities for and ensures compliance with laws, government regulations, Joint Commission requirements and DMC policies relating to areas of responsibility. As directed, implements external and internal audit recommendations.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
Department Operations ï¿½ Maintains an adequate number and skill mix over seven days a week to serve the patient population and meet the goals of the department ï¿½ Implements and supports with business case staffing requests utilizing the Tenet Case Management staffing recommendations and hospital budgetary guidelines ï¿½ Holds regular departmental meetings with staff to provide updates and provides for ongoing education ï¿½ Completes initial and annual competency and evaluation review on all case management staff ï¿½ Follows the InterQual Inter-rater Reliability (IRR) Policy to determine initial and yearly competency for all employees performing InterQual reviews ï¿½ Develops action plan for case managers that fail to meet the IRR acceptable ï¿½matchï¿½ rate to ensure improvement in the accurate application of InterQual criteria ï¿½ Ensures new case management staff complete department orientation including review of Tenet Case Management and Compliance policies and Allscripts training. ï¿½ Monitors case management processes and staff productivity to ensure medical necessity reviews are completed timely and accurately, payer communications are sent and authorizations or denials documented and followed up, and that transition planning assessments are completed timely.
Utilization Management ? Implements and monitors processes to ensure medical necessity review processes are in place for patients to be in the appropriate status and level of care per Tenet policy. ? Oversees submission of cases to Physician Advisor review to ensure timely referral, follow up and documentation. ? Implements and monitors utilization review process in place to communicate appropriate clinical data to payers to support admission, level of care, length of stay and authorization for post-acute services. ï¿½ Advocates for the patient and hospital with payers to secure appropriate payment for services rendered ï¿½ Participates in Revenue Cycle meeting, researching disputes, uncovering patterns/trends and educating hospital and medical staff on actionable items ï¿½ Implements and monitors physician ï¿½peer to peerï¿½ review process with payers to resolve denials or downgrades concurrently. ï¿½ Promotes prudent utilization of all resources (fiscal, human, environmental, equipment and services) by evaluating resources available to the patient and balancing cost and quality to assure optimal clinical and financial outcomes ï¿½ Monitors, analyzes and reports Avoidable Days using the data to address opportunities for improvement ï¿½ Participates and/or serves as lead for hospital Medicare Performance Improvement (MPI) initiatives. ï¿½ Utilizes Crimson data to provide timely and meaningful information to the Utilization Management Committee and physician staff for performance improvement. ï¿½ Monitors to ensure that CMS Follow-up Important Message (IM) and HINN letters are delivered and documented per federal regulations and Tenet policy.
Transition Management ï¿½ Implements and monitors process to ensure that a transition plan assessment is completed within 24 hours of patient admission to identify and document the anticipated transition plan for patients ï¿½ Ensures case management staff use electronic referral request process for patient placements ï¿½ Monitors to ensure that patient choice is documented per CMS regulations and Tenet policy ï¿½ Identifies and reports variances in appropriateness of medical care provided, over/under utilization of resources compared to evidence-based practice and external requirements. ï¿½ Monitors to ensure case management staff document in the Tenet Case Management system to communicating information through clear, complete and concise documentation
Care Coordination ï¿½ Works with Nursing and hospital leadership to ensure Patient Care Conferences and Complex Case Review processes are in place to promote timely and appropriate throughput ï¿½ Participates in daily bed management meeting to support timely and effective patient placement and transfer within the hospital ï¿½ Monitors to ensures that patients have a plan of care that is clinically appropriate, consistent with patient choice and available resources ï¿½ Monitors to ensures consults, testing and procedures are sequenced to support clinical needs with timely and efficient care delivery ï¿½ Ensures patient needs are communicated and that the healthcare team is mutually accountable to achieve the patient plan of care ï¿½ Effectively collaborates with physicians, nurses, ancillary staff, payors, patients and families to achieve optimum clinical outcomes
Education ï¿½ Provides education to physicians regarding medical necessity, complete and accurate documentation, and compliance with related regulatory requirements ï¿½ Prepares and provides data to physicians and the hospital on utilization of resources ï¿½ Provides education to case management staff, physicians and the healthcare team relevant to the o Effective progression of care, o Appropriate level of care, and o Safe and timely patient transition
Compliance ï¿½ Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and accreditation requirements impacting case management scope of services ï¿½ Ensures that the department structure and staffing, policies and procedures to comply with the CMS Conditions of Participation and Tenet policies ï¿½ Operates within the RN scope of practice as defined by state licensing regulations ï¿½ Implements and monitors compliance with Tenet Case Management practices
1. Graduate from an accredited school of Nursing. Bachelorï¿½s degree in Nursing or other health-related field, or the equivalent combination of education and/or related experience. Masterï¿½s degree in Nursing, Business Administration or Hospital Administration preferred.
2. Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan;
3. Three to five years of acute hospital case management leadership experience. Five years acute hospital case management experience preferred. McKesson InterQualï¿½ experience preferred. Business planning experience preferred.
4. Accredited Case Manager (ACM) preferred. Skills Required
1. Analytical ability to serve in an advisory/consultative role in determining and/or developing strategies, policies, processes, protocols and methods, frequently in the absence of guidelines or technical assistance, and to evaluate and direct complex systems that foster innovative approaches to procedures/processes. 2. Fiscal skills to monitor and control costs and revenue. 3. Ability to cope with stressful situations, manage multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities simultaneously. 4. Strong communication and interpersonal skills for frequent contacts with internal customers as well as stakeholders external to the DMC to persuade or negotiate on a wide range of subjects in situations which may be controversial, sensitive and/or lead to confrontation. A mastery of a variety of communication modalities is required to include leading meetings, making formal presentations, and writing complex documents and managing complex relationships over time. 5. Teaching abilities to conduct educational programs for staff. 6. Project management skills including the ability to define program, project, or process objectives, identify stakeholders and their interests, plan steps, coordinate and allocate human, technological and fiscal resources to accomplish goals and objectives in a resourceful yet timely manner. 7. Leadership skills including demonstrated willingness to pursue leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability, comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching, teaching and counseling skills, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others and to forge alliances and garner support. 8. Technical knowledge of community resources, regulatory requirements, reimbursements and utilization management procedures in order to function as a resource for staff.
Job: Case Management/Home Health
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Receiving Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 1905025634
About DMC Receiving Hospital
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.