At Banner Health, we set leaders up to succeed. We ensure executives have the staff and facilities their vision requires. Join a nationally recognized health care leader that values excellence and begin making a difference in people's lives.
Two specialized hospitals on one campus, with a combined 433 beds; Banner Baywood Medical Center level 3 trauma center known for multi-specialty care in cancer, stroke, women's health, rehabilitation, neuro, ortho and emergency medicine. The orthopedic unit has earned repeated recognition of having one of the Top 100 Orthopedic programs in the U.S. by The Health Network and HCIA. The emergency dept. received accreditation as a geriatric emergency dept 2nd in the state! The Banner Heart hospital in advanced cardiovascular includes cardiovascular intensive care, telemetry, international and endovascular with OR units, cardiac cath labs, electrophysiology labs and non-invasive cardiology unit. The largest freestanding heart hospital in the nation, and named the nations 100 Top hospitals for cardiovascular by Thomson-Reuters!
Banner Baywood Medical Center is a 332-bed hospital serving the health care needs of the dynamic and growing East Valley communities of metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona. We provide complete acute care services including cancer, stroke, women's health, rehabilitation, emergency medicine and surgery. In addition, our orthopedic unit has earned repeated recognition as having one of the Top 100 Orthopaedic Programs in the U.S. by The Health Network and HCIA, Inc.
POSITION SUMMARY This position has overall accountability for providing leadership, direction, and administration of day-to-day operations associated with direct patient care activities and clinical education and development, including continuous improvement of nursing services and staff to meet the needs and expectations of those served by the System, at assigned facility or campus while maintaining a high level of visibility at the facility, region and system levels. Ensures the realization of quality and economical health care services within established facility and system guidelines and philosophies. This position is responsible for driving, supporting and modeling a service-oriented culture focused on employee engagement, quality, patient safety, service excellence, fiscal responsibility, and the overall patient experience. Serves as a member of the executive leadership team at the facility and system levels, building and supporting effective collegial relationships with applicable internal and external constituents and stakeholders and ensuring optimal operating effectiveness and strategic positioning.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Maintains a working knowledge of current clinical practice and the regulatory requirements affecting that practice and exhibits the value of continuous learning. Demonstrates an in depth knowledge of healthcare economics and policy as well as the role of the governing body in the organization. Establishes and enhances a culture of evidence-based decision making in clinical and management initiatives. Articulates and models an emphasis on patient quality and safety. Understands utilization management and case management and their importance to the organization. Demonstrates this understanding by effectively managing risk.
2. Establishes a shared-governance structure and process. Maintains strong, credible relationships with medical staff, develops a community presence and builds connections with academic institutions.
3. Provides leadership, supervision, guidance and development for staff, articulating and demonstrating an expectation for continuous quality improvement, as well as continually supporting and exhibiting company values and service standards. Identifies and provides growth opportunities for staff.
4. Strategizes and drives process improvements focused on innovative care delivery and/or operational models designed to improve clinical services, outcomes, patient throughput, and patient safety. Promotes a patient-centered, healing environment. Promotes the use and implementation of technology in the workplace in order to streamline operations, facilitate communications, and optimize work processes.
5. Ensures and fosters a high level of collaboration within a highly matrix team environment in order to coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and resolve problems. Champions, models, and promotes service excellence philosophies and behaviors at the facility, regional, and system levels to enhance the overall patient experience.
6. Functions as an integral member of the hospital operations and system leadership teams, serving in an advisory capacity to applicable staff. In collaboration with leadership team members, directs and provides oversight regarding the strategic development, implementation, and maintenance of strong, comprehensive clinical and/or operational services and programs that meet system-wide organizational growth initiatives and the needs of patient populations in the community. Fosters the development and implementation of workforce initiatives effectively. Leads and influences change at the facility, regional, and system levels.
7. Along with other members of the team, promotes financial stewardship and clinical excellence for the facility in both operational and capital acquisition processes. Allocates financial, information, and human capital for improvement activities, ensuring the efficient delivery of cost effective services to patients, physicians, and hospital departments. Establishes performance measures, assesses and evaluates operations, and works with department management to assure efficient and effective delivery of services.
8. This position has administrative leadership responsibilities and is directly accountable for the quality and appropriateness of nursing care delivered to patients and contributes to the continuous improvement of nursing services and staff. Creates a region-wide focus of performance improvement and quality management and or service line development. Responsible for coordinating services with other administrators, internal legal counsel, executives, and other staff. This position has constant contact with staff members, frequent contact with other medical center division and department heads, and with medical staff. Customers of this position are both internal and external, including leadership, staff, medical staff, regulatory agencies, and the community.
Requires a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in a relevant discipline. The bachelor's degree or the master's degree must be in nursing. Requires a minimum of 7 to 10 years of current nursing leadership and management experience demonstrating progressive leadership development and competency.
Must possess licensure as a professional nurse (RN) in the state of practice. Proven experience and track record of strong nursing leadership that is customer focused, exhibits a passion for nursing, pursues continuous improvement, and advocates for patients' and nurses' viewpoints. Experience implementing and maintaining a patient-centered, healing environment. Proven track record of partnering with medical staff to achieve desired facility-specific and organizational outcomes. Knowledge of modern national trends in hospital technology, quality and patient safety.
Skilled in effectively handling multiple conflicting assignments, demands, and priorities with great attention to detail; coaching and developing direct reports and/or other employees; constructing new and innovative solutions to meet changing organizational strategies and goals; establishing, pursuing, and monitoring appropriate process and outcome measures for key initiatives utilizing a systems perspective; evaluating the processes by which clinical care and patient services are delivered, identifying areas for of opportunity, setting standards for outcomes, developing appropriate systems to monitor outcomes, and overseeing the implementation of process improvements; Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are essential. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Demonstrated progress toward FACHE certification or nursing leadership certification. Prior experience working in a highly matrix organization and integrated delivery systems highly desirable.
Internal Number: R5412
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.