Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
At Banner - Banner Medical Group (BMG), we're creating a world class medical organization that brings together a leadership team committed to a physician-focused structure, while navigating the challenges of moving from a volume-based to value-based health care system. As a Medical Assistant Registration Rep, you will help provide exceptional patient care with the rest of our Banner medical providers. Bring your dedication and determination to succeed. You will have a daily opportunity to learn new things and utilize your decision-making skills to make a difference in the lives in our patients. In General Surgery, they have 6 doctors and 6 APPS with rotating schedules because they also do trauma call at BTMC. It ends up being about 2-6 clinics a week. This is the only GenSurg MA position. We have 3 other MA's in different rolls in the office.
Monday - Friday: 8:00am-4:00pm; no weekends
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life
At Banner Medical Group, you'll have the opportunity to perform a critical role in the community where you practice. Banner Medical Group provides both primary and specialty care throughout the communities in which Banner Health operates. We do this in a variety of settings - from smaller group practices like our Banner Health Clinics in Loveland, Colo. and Torrington, Wyo., to large multi-specialty Banner Health Centers in the metropolitan Phoenix area. We currently have more than 1,000 physicians and more than 3,500 total employees in our group and are seeking others to enhance our ability to deliver our nonprofit mission of providing excellent patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for performing secretarial, reception, medical assisting and initial patient needs assessment functions. Provides outstanding customer service and ensures a smooth patient flow process by providing services in admissions, financial counseling, billing, scheduling patients, paperwork completion, explanation of procedures, making of appointments, and conducts registration. Explains and obtains signatures on forms such as registration, medical history, Conditions of Admission, Financial Agreement, Advance Directive, and Hospital Grievance policy. Receives referrals from physicians, obtains authorizations and calls insurance plans for verifications. At time of service is able to receipt cash and record accurately as well as enter charges and perform charge reconciliation. Also assists clinicians in providing medical care and in office testing as well as implementing and evaluating direct patient care. Utilizes special knowledge, judgment and skills necessary to provide appropriate patient care.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs registration processes, verifies insurance coverage and obtains authorization notification. Accurately documents information and performs data-entry to ensure maximum reimbursement. Obtains necessary signatures specific to patients' insurance plan. Calculates patient liability according to verification of insurance benefits. Collects deposits and co-payments. Provides financial counseling for patients and their families by explaining financial policies and providing available resources for alternative payment arrangements. Assists patients and their families with completing financial documents when appropriate.
2. Serves as a liaison between the patient, billing department, and payor to enhance account receivables, resolve outstanding issues and/or patient concerns. Enters charges for services delivered and does daily charge reconciliation in a timely and accurate manner. Balances cash drawer at the beginning and end of the day and prepares daily bank deposit with necessary paperwork faxed to PBO. Adheres to all billing procedures including preparation of Medicare billing at the end of the month within specific timelines.
3. Responsible for scheduling of patients, families, procedures, and physician appointments. Assists in scheduling routine appointments within the medical practice(s) and external practices as necessary. Assists in obtaining pre-certification, referrals, authorizations, prescriptions refills and other medical testing as necessary. Responsible for communicating test results to patient. Acts as a resource to clinician in order to provide optimal patient care.
4. Optimizes patient flow by using effective customer service communication skills utilizing kindness, tact and courtesy to ensure positive patient response to service. Demonstrates proactive interpersonal communications skills when relating to internal and external customers. Uses discretion and is attentive to issues of customer confidentiality. Demonstrates skills in pro-active resolution and attempts to resolve scheduling conflicts.
5. Provides support to include, answering the phones, returning phone messages, pick-up/prioritizing/distributing mail, completing purchase requests, ordering supplies/forms, coordinating/scheduling meetings, maintaining and re-stocking exam rooms and lobby. Monitors inventory including medication/injectables and immunizations, i.e., expired medications, recalls and patient tracking. Responsible for the medical records for the assigned area. Ensures medical records are pulled and ready daily. Initiates obtaining needed records from hospitals, practices, and other ancillary departments. Follows guidelines and assists in developing procedures to ensure that medical records are in compliance with all state and federal laws.
6. Prepares patient for exam and treatment by taking and recording vitals signs, symptoms, medication list, symptoms and other necessary measurements and recording chief complaint. Reports condition of patient which may be indicative of changes of the patient's condition to the clinician. Assists providers with exams and minor office procedures and acts as a chaperon if needed.
7. Performs office-based testing and treatments related to patient care under supervision of a clinician. Performs and records daily/monthly quality control on all office based testing and treatment. Maintains a log book of results and lot numbers. Collects and prepares specimens for laboratory testing including phlebotomy. Uses universal blood and body fluid precautions at all times and personal protective equipment as needed.
8. Maintains a clean, functional environment including cleaning and disinfection of equipment, exam rooms and storage areas. Disinfects equipment and instruments using appropriate solutions following sterilization procedures through Materials Management. Follow's manufacturer's recommendations and OSHA guidelines of handling hazardous substances. Performs and records daily/monthly quality control on all equipment.
9. This position works under the direct supervision of the providers, following established procedures. Uses established knowledge and problem-solving skills with to work independently in a fast paced, multi-task environment. Responsibility for ensuring efficient coordination of billing processes, financial counseling, client scheduling, maintaining and handling of documentation, and patient flow. Interacts with all levels of staff internal and external, including patients and their families, physician offices, third party payors, vendors, clinical staff, ancillary staff, therapist, nurses and case managers. Also interacts with physician in order to report and ask for or clarify information. Prioritizes data from multiple sources to provide support for the response of the patient and family in changes in health status. Primary responsibility is to main department assigned, however cross-over and assistance to other departments is required.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. Must be a graduate of an Accredited Medical Assisting Program and/or Certified Medical Assistant with experiential training in medical front office and insurance billing procedures.
Active Medical Assistant Certification is required. Certification or additional training must meet the requirements for Meaningful use. BLS certification required. Active Medical Assistant certification such as: Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) and proof of current membership from American Medical Technologists (AMT) Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) and proof of current membership from American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) and proof of current membership from National Health Career Association (NHA) (Test administered after 7/1/2017 only) National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) and proof of current membership from National Certified Competency Testing (NCCT)
Requires the ability to perform basic math functions and to assemble data into reports using spreadsheet programs. Must have the ability to handle confidential information and sensitive issues. Must be able to work under minimal supervision and make independent decisions using good judgment. Requires excellent communication, human relations, attention to detail and organizational skills. Requires the ability to multi-task activities. Must be able to communicate effectively to various ethnic and cultural backgrounds obtaining necessary resources when language barriers present. Requires the ability to perform efficiently with some analytical/problem solving skills. Requires exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Requires the ability to manage multiple changing priorities in an effective and organized fashion.
Requires strong computer skills, including the ability to work with medical software.
One to two years of experience working with patient flow and/or similar medical office work preferred. Previous medical assisting experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R11264
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.